Claytor Lake State Park in Pulaski County, Virginia is located on Claytor Lake, a 4,500 acre (18 km²), 21 mile (34 km) long artificial lake on the New River created for a hydroelectric project (Claytor Dam) of the Appalachian Power Company. It is named for W. Graham Claytor (1886-1971) of Roanoke, Virginia, a vice president of Appalachian Power who had supervised construction of the dam and creation of the lake.
Claytor Lake State Park has hiking trails, a freshwater swimming beach, boating and fishing opportunities, a full-service marina, visitor center, concession, lakeside cabins, camping with full hookups, interpretive programs and six rental shelters accommodating large groups.
The Haven B. Howe House is used as a Nature Exhibit Center that focuses on the lake’s wildlife habitat. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.
For more information on the lake contact FOCL – Friends of Claytor Lake, which is dedicated to conserving and protecting the quality, sustainability and tranquility of the Environment of Claytor Lake
© 2019 New River Valley Association of REALTORS All rights reserved. Information deemed to be reliable but not guaranteed. The data relating to real estate for sale on this website comes in part from the Broker Reciprocity Program. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Monroe Realty are marked with the BR logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Listing broker has attempted to offer accurate data, but buyers are advised to confirm all items. Information last updated on 2019-06-17.