Claytor Lake State Park in Pulaski County, Virginia is located on Claytor Lake, a 4,500 acre (18 km²), 21 mile (34 km) long artificial lake on the New River created for a hydroelectric project (Claytor Dam) of the Appalachian Power Company. It is named for W. Graham Claytor (1886-1971) of Roanoke, Virginia, a vice president of Appalachian Power who had supervised construction of the dam and creation of the lake.
Claytor Lake State Park has hiking trails, a freshwater swimming beach, boating and fishing opportunities, a full-service marina, visitor center, concession, lakeside cabins, camping with full hookups, interpretive programs and six rental shelters accommodating large groups.
The Haven B. Howe House is used as a Nature Exhibit Center that focuses on the lake’s wildlife habitat. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2008.
For more information on the lake contact FOCL – Friends of Claytor Lake, which is dedicated to conserving and protecting the quality, sustainability and tranquility of the Environment of Claytor Lake